Pages

Thursday, August 09, 2007

Recently


I've been quite the slacker with posting lately. I've had wonderful musings rolling around in my head, but haven't quite put fingers to keyboard recently.

But I am here, and I am watching another summer quickly fade. The sunflowers are starting to bloom, to me that is a sure sign that Fall is coming. I am actually looking forward to it. The crisp air, the changing colors of the leaves, sweaters, football.

But I digress, it is still sort of early August, and hot and humid. I've been a mother for nearly 3 months now, and I think I am starting to get the hang of it. I still struggle, but it is getting easier. I am less exhausted, and I feel more exhilerated most of the time.

My son will be spending another year in preschool. I don't disagree with that, because he is small for his age. Academically he is ready for kindergarten, but the social piece isn't there. I disagree with the fact that he is in a special ed class. I've noticed that he has more autistic behaviors when he is around autistic children. He does much better around normal kids. I feel like I am bucking the system when I tell people this. Apparently his teacher over the summer thought that he really isnt normal. The developmental ped thinks he's profoundly autistic. Funny, I don't see it and I live with him. I feel like I am banging my head against the wall with this. I want the best for my boy that I could possibly give, and I feel like treating him as normal as possible is important.

I have started with working on academics with him at home. He is on an IEP at school so I am working on his IEP goals. I mean he's 4, going on 5. Lets be realistic about goals here....

My own personal goals for him for the rest of August:
1. work on his cutting skills. He didn't know how to use a pair of scissors
2. get him signed up for play therapy. he doesn't know how to play. seriously.
3. have him dress himself consistently.

I am beginning to think that I am crazy with all that I want to do for my son....I just called his pediatrician to get a referral for play therapy for him. I want him to be as close to normal as possible. Why doesn't anyone outside my family seem to share the same goal that I have? I am not denying his disability, but on the other hand I want him to lead the most full, wonderful life possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment