Saturday, October 30, 2010

Stand Up

Had an amazing time last night at the Cancer Gala. Lance Armstrong was a suprisingly powerful speaker, and if it encourages folks to continue to stand up against cancer, that's great.
My life has been radically altered by cancer, although I have never had it. My dad died in 1996 of colon cancer, the same isidious disease that took my father in law in 2004. Both men were fighters, and kicked the disease's butt as hard as they could.
What stinks is even though the Big Man & I were dating back in 1996, we weren't serious about spending our lives together (I couldn't commit to a hair color or hair style, let alone anyone for the rest of my life). He did help me through the last days of my dad's life. The night he died, Big Man came over to my condo and just sat with me the whole night. I remember I sat there, silent, keeping a gentile form of shiva.
The worst part, and it broke my heart more than I ever let on, was he wasn't there for so much. He missed my career triumphs. He missed walking me down the aisle. He missed out on being a grandfather. Not to mention all he missed from the Princess' life.
In some ways, my father in law's death proved the catalyst for so much in our lives. After he died, it set a chain of events in motion that led us to where we are today. I think he would have totally loved the Little Man too.
The Princess was my date last night, and we had a good time. We hadn't hung out like that in years. Literally. The last time she was probably a freshman in high school, so that was quite some time since she's now 21. She & I laughed & giggled, and had fun. We enjoyed some great food, and chatted about cooking and domesticity. She told me I am turning into Peggy Hill from King of the Hill, and I told her to watch it because that could turn the evening foul.
When I got home, Little Man was asleep. I went into his room to kiss him goodnight, and he looked so peaceful. He was lying there, and you could see his long eyelashes and his body at rest. I know that I am biased, but he is incredibly handsome.
I did miss my boys more than words could say last night. Ok, so I am a sap and I prefer hot wheels to hot party action. That being said, I could do without the repeat viewings of movies on demand. (Cloudy with a chance of meatballs anyone?)
Today is a crazy errand day. NICU Sibling Saturday Halloween party. Haircut. Grocery shopping. Clean the house. Get ready for Halloween tomorrow. Rest. Relax. Eat healthy too, because I know I overdid it last night. Drink lots of water to flush out my system. Bake cupcakes for tomorrow. My back hurts from standing all night in high heels. I need to do some major stretching to make up for it. Its definately a detox kind of day, especially since more candy will be eaten tomorrow, with it being Halloween and all.
Speaking of detoxes, I really need to get back to eating more cleanly during the day. I know when I eat a really healthy breakfast (oatmeal, fruit, granola topping) I feel so much better. I love sliced apples with peanut butter yogurt dip for a snack. And drinking water all day long (especially when I add lemon & mint-so refreshing!) yogurt with fruit as a snack as well. I really need to eat my supersalads too.
Its not about losing weight. Its about being healthy. Its about adding some of the best foods possibly. And in the last few days, there are reports from several leading medical journals that both cancer and diabetes could be prevented by eating healthier and exercising.
More fruits and vegetables, and all the colors of the rainbow.
Less meats.
More whole grains.
More fish, like salmon.
More low fat dairy.
So, looking at the menu planning for next week:
Monday-whole wheat pasta, sauce, topped with veggies like diced eggplant (purple), broccoli (green) and peppers (red) and a side of spinach, garlic bread made out of whole wheat Italian bread, and sweet treat for dessert
Tuesday-chicken stir fry, with brown rice and lots and lots of veggies. sugar free jello
Wednesday-chowder with skim milk, corn, potatoes, and veggies
The rest of the week I need to think about. More to come.

No comments: