Thursday, December 22, 2011

Another Auld Langs Eyne

We are rather boring folks when it comes to New Year’s Eve. I don’t like going out with a bunch of strangers and drunken idiots, I much rather watch Dick Clark and the ball dropping in Times Square. People are amazed when I tell them that I lived within an hour of NYC for most of my life and I never went there on New Year’s Eve. Most of the time, I can barely make it to when it’s the New Year in NJ, let alone in the Central Time Zone where I currently reside.




I have always been a big brunch fan, ever since I was introduced to it at La Caille in Salt Lake City many, many years ago. One of the great things about brunch is its so versatile-you can do so many different things, and they are all ok. If you want to offer more breakfast selections, that’s ok…if you want more lunch or dinner selections, that’s ok too. There aren’t any hard and fast rules about brunch, its up to you!



I love putting pictures on display from the past year (I also have my scrapbook albums nearby) because my son loves to look at them, and I think it’s a great reminder of how we’ve been blessed in the past year.



I also make “crackers”…which traditionally are given out at Christmas dinner, but there’s usually so much going on with Christmas, its easier to save them for New Year’s Day.



To make them, you need:

Empty toilet paper rolls

Wrapping paper

Ribbon

Small toys and candy



Stuff the toys and candy inside the toilet paper tube. I sometimes put a note in there too. Wrap in wrapping paper, and tie ends with ribbon.



My brunch menu this year features:



Banana bread French toast (recipe found here)



Bacon and sausage



Mimosa punch



Ham and cheese paninis





Mimosa punch:



1 2 l bottle ginger ale

2 c orange juice

1 can frozen pink lemonade, slightly defrosted



Mix all together in a punch bowl. You can garnish with sliced oranges if you like.





Ham and cheese paninis



Whole wheat bread (I love the honey wheat loaf from Breadsmith)

Black forest ham

Swiss cheese

Mango chutney (optional)

Cooking spray



Spray Panini press (or foreman grill) with cooking spray. Layer ham and cheese on bread, top with mango chutney and cook until cheese is melted and ooey gooey.
Note: you can fresh spinach before grilling for an added boost

My approach for decorating is pretty simple: a nice tablecloth, some confetti sprinkled around and dishes. For decorations, out of cardboard I made a clock and hat and used some other things from the dollar store and from friends.

3 comments:

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Great ideas!! And that punch sounds so good!!

xoxox
Jen

Paula Parrish said...

Hello Dee,
Sounds like a awesome news years eve to me. I love staying at home and enjoying my family and friends company. Thanks for the fun ideas. Love the clock.
Smiles, Paula

Susie Buetow said...

Love the punch! Stop over and link up in my Happy Friday Link up today! It is all about drinks!! Susie http://cafescrapper-scrapsoflife.blogspot.com/2012/01/happy-friday-link-up-drink.html