Wednesday, October 05, 2011

fishing in the dark

Friendly’s was a local diner/ice cream parlor along the East Coast. It is an indeliable part of my childhood. I remember going to the Friendly’s on the main street in my home town and having a fish-a-majig (yes, that was the sandwich’s name) and ice cream with my aunt and grandmother. This is back in the 1970’s, when going out to eat was a big deal, especially in my family.


I remember being in Hyannis Port, MA when I was older and ordering the same darn thing. It was an instant reminder of my childhood. I love how sometimes food can do that. There was a Friendly’s in Quaker Bridge Mall, which was a pleasant alternative to Food Court food, and always a nice bonus of ice cream sundaes following a long day shopping with the Princess and her friends.

That chain didn’t exist in the Midwest, so when we would go “home”, it included a stop to Friendly’s in Hamilton, NJ for of course, fish-a-majig and ice cream sundaes.

Alas, that will be no more.

According to the Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/glance-a-list-of-63-friendlys-stores-closed-ahead-of-chapter-11-filing/2011/10/05/gIQAtNlNNL_story.html) the Hamilton restaurant and 62 others are closing ahead of the company filing Chapter 11. It’s the end of an era, and I am surprised at how sad I feel by it. I think because a big chunk of my childhood food memories are tied up to that place, and these are memories I shared with the Princess when she was growing up, I feel like a piece of me is gone. Another nail in the coffin of my childhood, I guess.





Homemade fish-a-majig sammy



2 slices whole wheat bread

2 slices soy or rice milk cheese, yellow American

1 fish fillet (I like the lemon pepper one from Gorton’s or you can use a fish substitute) cooked

2 tbsp homemade tartar sauce (recipe follows)

1 tsp coconut oil



Heat coconut oil in a skillet. Put a slice of cheese on a slice of bread, place the fish fillet on top of that and top with tartar sauce, the remaining cheese and bread. Put in skillet and cook, slightly covered over medium heat until the cheese melts and the bread is somewhat browned.



Tartar sauce

½ c Mayonnaise or veganaise

1 kosher dill pickle, diced

½ tsp harissa sauce

1 tsp lemon juice



Mix together and serve with fish

1 comment:

Danielle said...

Our Friendly's are still open in Rochester, NY! I would be very sad if they closed them too.

The Happy Wife/Danielle Garcia
ldsmom2201 at yahoo dot com
http://juanshappywife.blogspot.com
Twitter: The_Happy_Wife