Saturday, December 31, 2011

Bells Will Be Ringing

We are counting down the hours and minutes to the end of this year. 2012 holds forth such promise and I am looking forward to the calendar turning the page.
It's been a roller coaster year for me. I started the year, recovering from major surgery, and have ended the year, recovering from major surgery.
In between, I've had a lot of growth in my life, and been on a journey of self discovery. I've learned who my true friends are (and that was quite surprising who they turned out to be). There's a saying that a true friend is the one that will be sitting next to you on the bus when the limo breaks down. The bus seats were filled with folks I least expected, who have been amazing cheerleaders, confidantes and friends. The sad thing is, a lot of folks I thought wouldve gone for the ride with me, chose instead to wait for a tow truck.
You really do know who to depend on when you're in that pit.
In between, i've had a wild ride. I've seen my little blog get bigger and bigger, going from something for family and friends to hundreds of visitors a day.
I've had dreams come true; I started a business, doing a labor of love. I am in the process of starting an Etsy shop. Most of all, I made two dreams a reality: I began an autism ministry at my church and I published a book.
I will be teaching vegan cooking classes at the Museum of Visual Materials the 3rd Tuesday of every month at 6 pm. I was featured in a cover story in our local newspaper. Biggest accolade: being named woman of the year by a local magazine.
On the flipside, I have had some of the lowest lows. I had a hard time from healing from my last surgery so I had to have a follow up in November. I've had the aforementioned wake up call, causing me to re-evaluate things. I saw my tenure as PTO president end, and my phone stop ringing and the calendar opening. We've struggled with some of the challenges third grade puts on a kiddo with autism.
My dream of the prototypical family died as well. It's how you handle the valleys that make you appreciate the view from the mountain top.
Bells will be ringing, heralding a new year. Welcome 2012, welcome.

No comments: