Saturday, December 24, 2011

Caroling, Caroling

When I was younger, I remember groups of people going around neighborhoods caroling. That may be a throwback to another time and another place, but it was a part of the Christmas season. It was like trick or treating on Halloween; you'd ring the doorbell, sing a song or two and you'd get hot cocoa or a candy cane or if you were really lucky, cookies.
It seems as if that tradition has slowly faded away.
I am not a singer. When the Holy Spirit was distributing gifts, the one of good voice kind of skipped over me. That doesnt stop me, however. As I've been told repeatedly throughout my life, God loves a joyful noise. I've also been told that I sing way too loud and way too off key, but I'm going to keep on singing because God put a song in my heart (He didn't say that I had to sing it well)
The Little Man and I have had a few opportunities to go caroling this year and my heart cried out with delight.
The first opportunity was at a local nursing home through the youth program at church. We had baked cookies and decorated them. We went to the nursing home and sang. There were a lot of folks really happy we visited.
The other opportunity came about because of twitter. One of my tweeps posted a story about a family needing some holiday cheer, so I organized a caroling flash mob. This is the upside of social media!
I think it's time to bring back this tradition.

No comments: