Sunday, March 25, 2012

Chammak Challo

One of the great benefits of being vegan is eating a lot of ethnic food. One of my favorites happens to be Indian, which sadly, doesn't really exist in Sioux Falls. Coming from the Princeton, NJ area with 9 excellent choices along my commute and Indo-Pak supermarkets all over the place, it's been sad.
Many years ago, I was the store manager for a high end kitchen product retailer. My staff were mostly Indian housewives, who felt sorry for me that I was single and lived alone. As a result, I had a lot of food brought in for my lunches and dinners.
One of my favorites was Chana masala.

1 can chickpeas, drained
1 large tomato diced
1 c chopped onion
1 tbsp curry powder
1 tsp garam masala
2 tsp ground red pepper
1 c vegetable broth
1 minced garlic Clove
Handful fresh cilantro
1 tsp fresh Ginger
Vegetable oil

Sauté onion and garlic in oil. Add chickpeas, Ginger, broth, tomatoes and seasoning. Cook over medium heat until tomato is softened. Remove from heat, add cilantro. Serve over rice, with soy yogurt sauce, cucumbers, spinach and chutney, with a side of naan bread.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh2K9VlGj9Q&feature=youtube_gdata_player

No comments: