Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Koka Kola

I am a soda junkie (holding on my Jersey girl roots and not calling it pop). I have been known to drink up to a 6 pack in a day, which is so bad for me. After it became glaringly obvious that I wasn’t going to quit the stuff, we got a soda stream. I love this new toy! Its so super easy, the soda tastes great and its better for me. The only downside is the noise scares our dog and he hides.


Its great for when the Little Man has friends over too. We went through tons of juice boxes when they played outside or mine craft downstairs. We can make fruit punch or root beer or lemonade (all caffeine free!) and save a lot of money.

I have been a huge coke fan for years. I blame my grandmother for it, because she drank it exclusively. I had a brief flirtation with Pepsi back in the day thanks to the band Suicidal Tendencies, but it was short lived.


I saw on Pinterest a recipe for coke syrup for the soda stream. I was game. Except I couldn’t find any of the supplies in Sioux Falls. So I improvised. And I think mine turned out better.

 

1 star anise clove, crushed

1 tbsp vanilla extract

1 tsp nutmeg, ground

1 tsp cinnamon, ground

1 tsp citric acid

1 tbsp agave nectar

1 c water

 

Bring water to a boil. Add spices and agave, reduce to a simmer. Let mixture thicken to a honey like consistency. Strain. Mix with carbonated water. Drink. Enjoy



No comments: