Thursday, September 19, 2013

Apple Scruffs

This time of year apples are abundant. We have a local orchard nearby where you can either buy a bag or pick your own. It’s a chance for me to make fresh applesauce to keep for the long winter ahead, and keep a little bit of fall going in the darkness. As I get older and more nutritionally aware, I am working to eliminate most processed foods from my diet and limit the amount of added sugars that both I and my family consume. It couldn’t be easier than to make it in the crock-pot.


 

A variety of apples about 4 lbs

Cinnamon

1 lemon

6 c water

 

 

Spray or line the crockpot. Chop apples into chunks (you can peel if you like, but its not necessary). Add to crockpot. Cover with water. Add cinnamon. Juice lemon, add to water. Add strips of lemon peel to it. Cook on low 8-10 hours. Let cool and mash. Pour into freezer bags and freeze flat. To use: defrost in fridge 4-6 hours.


No comments: