Sunday, January 19, 2014

Mambo Italiano

My beloved Big Man is Italian. Growing up, he had Sunday dinner at his grandmothers, with the cousins and extended family. Every so often, he waxes nostalgic, and feels bad that we live 1300 miles away from the Little Man's cousins and we only see them sporadically.

When this happens, I bust out  the Dean Martin and tie on the apron. I go into full on Italian housewife mode. 

I start with an antipasti platter. This one has fresh mozzarella ( it comes in a ball and us in the cheese section of the supermarket), prosciutto, capricola and salami. I added a variety of olives too.



For dinner, I made lasagna. Many years ago (like 20!), I knew the Big Man & I were serious when he had me spend an afternoon with his grandmother and learn how to cook family recipes. My lasagna isn't one of them, but I often think back to that day when I'm making lasagna.



You need:
Lasagna noodles ( I use the no boil to save time)
2 cans sauce
Garlic, minced
Ricotta cheese (16 oz)
1 egg
Basil
Dash nutmeg
2 tbsp red pepper flakes
1/2 c shredded mozzarella 

Preheat oven to 375. Mix ricotta, egg, garlic, basil, red pepper & nutmeg together. Layer noodles with ricotta mixture, mozzarella and sauce (noodle-ricotta-noodle-mozzarella/sauce, etc) ending with mozzarella & sauce.

Bake 45 minutes until melted and gooey.




No comments: