Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Naked Burrito

I love burritos. The love affair started at Bonneville Junior High, in Salt Lake City in the early 1980's. Sometimes, I'd get off my bus with my friend who lived at the other end of 6400 South, near 11th East. There was a 7-11 on the corner, and I had my first taste of a burrito.

It was love at first bite.
I still love them, even though they aren't the healthiest thing for me.
I've tried to find a way to make them healthier, but I hadn't had much luck.
Until now.
We've had some crazy weeks lately, between the Big Man being back in the hospital earlier this month,
Pinewood Derby 
and piano recitals
and competitions.
Then I got sick, causing an asthma flare.
As a result, lots of takeout and junk, which means feeling bloated and just plain yucky. In addition, grocery shopping was on the back burner, so cupboards were lacking the good stuff.

was throwing together a quick dinner the other night, and didn't have anything jump out and scream cook me. It was like an episode of Chopped.  I had a sweet potato, some cooked kidney beans, a can of Rotel tomatoes, green onions, cashew cream, avocado, and some daiya shreds. 

Challenge accepted.
Time to make a naked burrito bowl.
What makes it naked is no tortilla. 
I cooked the sweet potato, then sliced it. I sprinkled some chili powder on it.
I reheated the beans with the tomatoes. Diced some green onions, added them. Heated them through. 
Diced some avocado and topped it all with cashew cream.
It was so good. 


No comments: