Tuesday, May 27, 2014

For What it's Worth

On May 24th, I took my son to his very first protest march. 




He was about the same age as I was when I went to my first one-the No Nukes protest in New York City in the late 70’s. (It happened soon after Three Mile Island) 


From the Springsteen lyrics site 


This protest was part of the worldwide March Against Monsanto movement. (For more information, check out: http://www.march-against-monsanto.com).


 We were protesting the lack of labeling of genetically modified organisms (GMO’s), which include roundup ready seeds that Monsanto sells to farmers. Monsanto is the largest producer of them, which account for the vast majority of the corn, soybean, and cotton crops in the United States.


My concern is the fact that little to no independent research has been conducted on the long term health effects from these seeds as well as immediate health concerns. What is even more troubling is the fact consumers don't even know they are eating GMO's, and that means the lack of choice. I am a firm believer in corporate responsibility & promoting an ethical culture. 


The continued response to a call by consumers to label their products is irresponsible and unethical in my opinion.  I am also concerned over the continued disappearance of bees, which some scientists have linked to the increase use of these seeds, as well as other pesticides and chemical products.

 

I am raising my son to think critically for himself, and not just spew rhetoric.


 I know that there will come a time when he may not agree with my political, social or even religious views. However, I did have a proud mom moment when he was explaining why he was protesting with me. He had a lovely anti-fast food rant, complete with reused food and pink slime, as well as being sad over the bees disappearing.

 

Little Man, Puppy Dog and I had a great time for a good cause, and grateful for the ability to gather freely and speak our truth.

No comments: