Tuesday, July 15, 2014

3 AM (eternal)

I have dealt with insomnia for years. I don't have problems falling asleep, it's staying asleep. 3 AM and I are close personal friends. I do all the things "right"-no caffeine before bedtime, relaxation techniques, blah blah blah. For decades, I fall asleep and then bam! I'm wide awake at the crack of dawn.

A friend of mine suggested I try turmeric tea. 

Turmeric what?

I googled it, it sounded gross.

Yet I was intrigued.

I had turmeric in my pantry, since I add it to tofu scrambles to give them an egg like color. 

I could at least give it a whirl...

I boiled some coconut milk (I am coconut milk obsessed) and added a bit of stevia. I stirred in about 2 tsps of turmeric. I added a pinch of Himalayan salt. It was creamy, golden deliciousness. 

The next morning I woke up at 430. 430! It may not seem like much, but it was an accomplishment. I slept an extra 90 minutes, which for an insomniac is like an extra day.

I tried it again-and same thing. My sleep bot app was basically doing a happy dance (& so was I!) mind over matter? Maybe. But since it's tasty, I'm adding it to the routine.

1 c coconut milk
3 drops stevia
Himalayan salt

Heat up milk, add turmeric, stevia & salt. Serve hot. Drink up.

No comments: