Thursday, July 17, 2014

Goddess

I started reading labels while grocery shopping years ago. I go in phases, reading things closely to just throwing random junk in my cart. Over the last few years, I have seen my weight go up, my energy level go down and my overall health & we'll being plummet. I knew something had to change, so I decided to be more aware of what I was putting in my body (as well as on it) and made some big changes.

I have always eaten a lot of salad. In fact, I probably eat at least two a day with lunch and dinner. I keep it in a big bowl in my fridge and just grab it and go. I also love my salad dressing, which I began to realize was a bit of a problem. Reading labels, I discovered some of my favorite dressings had lots of bad stuff in there, including high fructose corn syrup, MSG and lots of chemicals.

What's a semi-crunchy mom to do?

Make my own.

It's actually pretty easy. I love green goddess dressing (you would think with a name like that, it's good for you) but none were healthy. Since my little health crisis, I made the conscious choice I need to eat more "cleanly"-whole, unprocessed foods. That was not green goddess dressing, at least in the supermarket.

I was watching the movie Food Matters, and there was a discussion on spirulina, which is an algae. Before you get grossed out, it's actually pretty good and has tons of health benefits.

And it's green.

I found my new green goddess dressing.


1 pkg silken tofu, soft
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp spirulina powder
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp coconut oil
Dash of sriachia sauce
1/4 c non dairy milk

Put all ingredients in a blender, purée. Keeps for about 5 days in the fridge

No comments: