Wednesday, August 06, 2014

5 for fighting

As a woman who grew up in the early throes of feminism, Ms Magazine and women in the workforce, I was desperate for mentors and role models. Other than my mother-who was a trailblazer in her career-there were few choices. I did find some that helped influence me to be, well me.

The Philadelphia 11 were the first women ordained in the episcopal church. General convention did not recognize the ordination of women in 1974. These brave women risked it all, liturgically speaking, by this bold move. They could have been excommunicated, but they helped change a church instead. Two years later, the church recognized the ordination of women, officially, but it took another decade or so for it to be widely accepted. In my memory, there have always been female priests in the episcopal church, but it's actually only 40 years.

I was 11 when Lady Di became a princess. It was like a fairy tale come true. I was fascinated and obsessed with her. That never waned, even after her tragic death in 1997. It wasn't just the fact that she was a princess or royalty. The fact she championed causes that were less than glamorous (until she became involved) inspired me to help make the world a better place. 


I have struggled with this piece of Scripture for many years. I have been both Mary and Martha. I've never found a happy medium, although I'm sure it exists. The sisters are a reminder for me to keep my priorities in check.
As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!” “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.” (Luke 10:38-42 NIV)

I was about 8 when I first learned of Mother Teresa. Hearing about how she lived selflessly, providing care and comfort to the dying and helping out orphans began to color my life. I wanted to make the world a better place. At first, I thought about being a nun like her for about five minutes, then I realized I wanted to be a wife and mother more. In my 20's, I had an opportunity to spend time with the Missionaries of Charity facility in the Bronx. It inspired me on my path, along with Matthew 25

For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’ “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’ “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ (Matthew 25:35-40 NIV)


I was a huge fan of Audrey Hepburn, the actress. My aunt loved her, and introduced me to the magic and beauty her movies offered. When we got our first VCR, we were able to watch movies together over and over. As I grew up, I learned of Audrey the style maven. She could wear a burlap sack and be stunning. Some people wear clothes well and she was one of them. It's been an inspiration to my own personal style.
It's not just those qualities, while admirable, that helped her make this list. It was the humanitarian work later in her life that defined her. The pictures of her holding famine starved children inspired me to make hunger history. She embodied:

He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God. (Micah 6:8 NIV)


No comments: