Monday, November 03, 2014

Pure

 

I took a kundalini yoga workshop several months ago. One of the tenets behind this form of yoga is spiritual purification. There are a lot of ways to achieve it, and some were more do-able in the modern world than others. I do have a family, job and other attachments that keep from spending my day in reverence, prayer and meditation (although that does sound pretty great). I have been able to implement some of the lifestyle into my daily life, and I think its made me a better wife and mom, as well as yogi.

 

One of the precepts is having a healthy daily routine, including eating healthy foods, serving others, the importance of sleep and rest and hygiene. There are some ideas that I thought were crazy at first, but as I have tried them, I realize there are a lot of benefits.

 

One was in regards to hair care. Many kundalini practioners have incredibly long hair, and its really lustrous and beautiful. As part of the kundalini practice, they comb their hair using wooden combs for 5 minutes morning and night (reminds me of Marcia Brady with her hair brushing). Another routine is to massage almond oil into your hair and scalp and let it sit for an hour before showering. Since I started doing that, my hair has gotten thicker and doesn’t break as easily.

 

Another kundalini precept is cleansing the mouth every morning. While most of us brush teeth as part of our morning routine, this is a bit more intense. You are supposed to push your toothbrush into the back of your mouth every morning until you gag to clear the “monkey glands” that are in the back of the throat. Also, you should use a tooth powder prior to brushing with toothpaste. It acts as an astringent, and really does clean your mouth. I also think that since I’ve been doing it, my teeth are cleaner and whiter, despite my love of coffee and tea.

 

Tooth powder

1 part sea salt

2 parts bentonite clay

 

Mix together and store in air tight jar.

 

The other crazy part of a kundalini lifestyle is hydrotherapy. Basically, you massage yourself with almond or sesame oil and take a cold shower. As you massage the oil in the cold water, you are supposed to chant the mantra “Wahe Guru”.  I thought the idea was nuts, until I decided to try it. I don’t take an entirely cold shower, because to me, that is not a pleasant way to get going in the morning. However, I start out with it cold, and there are a lot of benefits. One, my skin has never looked so good! Seriously-my skin is super soft, without using lotion. Two, it does really get the blood flowing and gives as much energy as a tall Starbucks. Three, it really makes you look great. There’s something about overcoming a challenge and succeeding.

 

No comments: