Monday, January 12, 2015

Here Comes the Sun


When I first started doing yoga, I really despised the sun salutations. I saw no benefit in it-which is exactly why I needed them so much. Fast forward 26 years, and I can’t start my day without them. I do them as soon as I get out of bed, and it’s how I set the tone for the entire day. I’m not going to lie, there are days I skip, and those are days that everything is off kilter and out of sorts. For me, sun salutations serve two purposes. One, they are really great stretches that make my body feel great. Two, there is something about the ritual of doing them every morning. I love the grounding aspect of it, and the fact that it connects me to yogis past, present and future. As time has gone on, I have also added meditation and chant to them, to add a spiritual element for myself.

 

Sun salutations are great place to start if you are new to yoga. It consists of a series of poses or asanas that are relatively basic.

 

You start in:

Mountain pose.

 Chant Praise to Him who loves us all OR Our father, who art in Heaven

 

Back bend

Chant: Praise to Him who is cause for change OR hallowed be Your name

 

Forward fold

Chant: praise to Him who encourages me to move OR Thy kingdom come

 

Lunge

Chant: praise to Him who creates light OR Thy will be done

 

Downward Dog

Chant: Praise to Him who creates the sky Or On earth, as it is in heaven

 

Plank

Chant: Praise to Him who nourishes all Or Give us this day our daily bread

 

Cobra

Chant: Praise to Him who made everything Or forgive us our trespasses

 

Downward Dog

Chant: Praise to Him  Or as we forgive those who trespass against us

 

Lunge (opposite leg)

Chant: Praise to Him, lord of lords Or lead us not into temptation

 

Forward fold

Chant: praise to Him who is the king of kings Or Deliver us from evil

 

Back bend

Chant: praise to Him, Messiah Or for thy kingdom, power and glory

 

Mountain pose

Chant: praise to the Lord, who has made heaven and earth Or now and forever, Amen

 

It’s a great way to start the morning, clear my head and be connected to the universe (sorry to sound a little new age, but its how I feel). Try it for 21 days and see if it not only changes your body, but also your mind and soul.

 

No comments: