Monday, February 23, 2015

Happy

Its taken 44 years of living to say that I am finally truly happy with my life. I am at the point where I find the joy in everyday things-the sunrise, a full moon, a luscious piece of fruit, my son’s giggle-that make up the truly big things in my world. I wish it didn’t take a health crisis to spur things on, but unfortunately it did, and it was the tipping point. I realized that if I didn’t make the changes I did, when I did, I would be dead in a few years. I used to be dependent on other people, places and products to make me happy. There were a lot of if only’s going on in my life. If only I had such a such thing, if only I was going to x event, if only so and so was my friend, I would be happy.

And more often than not, I was miserable.

I realized that health, family and love are the three most important things in life. Material things are nice, but not necessary to lead a contented, happy life. I spend time every day writing in my gratitude journal at least 10 things I am grateful for. The more I think about it, the more things I find.

I also keep a happy list, things that make me well, happy. Every day I do at least 3 things from that list. It can be as simple as smelling my coffee as it brews, giving my dog a belly rub and snuggling with my son (which is what I accomplished yesterday) to doing a whole bunch. I have noticed when I slack off on this, things begin to get dark and I find myself falling into that pit.

No comments: