Monday, June 29, 2015

Game-Set-Match

I love tennis. I love playing and I love watching it on tv. I especially love watching Wimbledon. Out of the four majors, it's my favorite. There's something elegant and timeless about it, and I look forward to it each year.

My favorite out of the fortnight is breakfast at Wimbledon, the men's final.
As a child, we would have a proper breakfast with my aunt, grandmother and I glued to the tv. I grew up with jimmy Connors, Billie Jean king, Chrissy evert and John McEnroe. In the 90's and later, tennis took an awesome turn and you had a few superstars emerge-Martina Hingis, Steffi Graff, Pete Sampras and Andre Agassi-then the Williams sisters later on. 

It became fierce.

My grandmother loved Pete Sampras, but in her endearing way, she used to call him Pete Sampson.

I was an Andre Agassi fan. What can I say? I liked the bad boys.

We both liked Patrick Rafter.

This year, I will brew some English breakfast tea.

And have some balsamic strawberries with cashew cream.

To make: 
Strawberries
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
Finely chopped mint leaves
1 tsp coconut sugar
1 c raw cashews, soaked in water overnight
1/3 c non dairy milk

Halve the strawberries. Put in a bowl, add vinegar & sugar. Toss to coat. Add mint.

Drain cashews. Purée in blender with milk. 

To serve: put a layer of cream in serving dish. Top with berries.


To finish up, I will toast my grama & aunt with a virgin Pimms.

16 oz ginger ale
1 lime, juiced
1 lemon juiced
Fresh basil
Star anise
Juniper berries, crushed
Fresh mint
1 cucumber sliced thinly


Pour ginger ale, lime & lemon juices and berries into a pitcher. Add anise, mint, basil & cucumber. Chill & let flavors combine for 4 hours before serving.

No comments: