Thursday, August 27, 2015

Mushrooms

I am working on transitioning to a plant based diet. There are days that are easier than others. One of the hardest is the whole cookout/burger times. There is something to be said about a big juicy slab on a bun, topped with stuff.

I am not a big fan of meatless burgers-they usually taste like cardboard and are expensive. 
Enter Portobello.

I love mushrooms. I really do, and like the avocado, I can add to just about everything. Portobello caps are just about the right size for a bun, and are versatile.

My favorite is making them Mediterranean style. I sauté garlic in a bit of olive oil, then add the mushroom cap. I sear it on both sides and then let cook through for about 7 minutes. I top it with capers, roasted red peppers, cashew cream and spinach. It’s so good, so filling and so healthy

 

Cashew cream

1 c raw cashews

1 c water

1/3 c almond or coconut milk

 

Soak the cashews overnight in 1 c water. Drain. Puree with the non dairy milk. Can be used as sour cream, ricotta cheese, mayonnaise, cream sauce, Alfred sauce…possibilities are endless!

No comments: