Monday, December 28, 2015

The Giver

Have you ever opened a present and were let down? I think at one point in time it's happened to all of us. In fact, many movies and sitcoms use this as a plot device. Look at the goofy gift-what were they thinking when they bought that?

They were probably thinking you would like it. Something about that gift made them think of you. They took the time, effort and money to give it to you. The least they deserve is kindness in return.

I've been that giver. I have had less than kind reactions to gifts I've given. I am big on making gifts-I love being creative and sharing that with people who I welcome into my life. Not everyone appreciates handmade. Just like not everyone appreciates your taste either. It's not open season on rudeness.

If you receive a gift you don't like, thank the giver. Keep your opinion of the gift to yourself. Don't blast it out on social media. Send them a thank you note, even if you absolutely hate it.

What to do with a bad gift? You can return it. You can re-gift it. You can throw it out. You can donate it. You can do whatever you want with it, except be rude. 

No comments: