Thursday, May 12, 2016

As Good as I Once Was

Reality has smacked me in the face the last few days. I'm realizing that I truly am a middle aged mom, with all the aches and pains that go along with it. I can't do a lot of the things I used to-or aspire to. 

You know what? That's ok. 


The latest realization came following surgery on my big toe. Did you ever think how important this guy is? Me neither. Until I had an ingrown toenail "fixed" two weeks ago. It's been agony ever since. For the first three days, I couldn't even work or bear the pain. It's slightly improving, but it's kept me out of the gym.


I've also learned how important a good nights sleep is. I've had sleeping problems for years, but finally got into a good groove earlier this year. I take magnesium & 5-htp at bedtime, with either herbal tea or golden milk. It works like a charm. Until this week.
I hadn't had restorative sleep from Sunday through Tuesday. By Wednesday afternoon, my butt was dragging. But last night, it was like the angels sang. I slept until my alarm went off. It was glorious. 

Speaking of the gym, I'm trying to get into a groove there. It's been a struggle since last fall. First I was sick. Then I had surgery. Healed. Got into a routine. Then my mom broke her femur. Got out of the routine. Now I'm taking baby steps to get back on a steady routine.
Like Nike, I just have to do it.


The last two weeks have been a reminder  that we all need a breather. I've been using this verse as a guidepost these last few weeks

“In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, Lord, make me dwell in safety.”
Psalm 4:8 

It's helped me to refocus. I needed this time away from the gym, from being so constantly driven, to refocus. I don't have to do it all, and that's ok.



No comments: