Thursday, August 09, 2007

Recently


I've been quite the slacker with posting lately. I've had wonderful musings rolling around in my head, but haven't quite put fingers to keyboard recently.

But I am here, and I am watching another summer quickly fade. The sunflowers are starting to bloom, to me that is a sure sign that Fall is coming. I am actually looking forward to it. The crisp air, the changing colors of the leaves, sweaters, football.

But I digress, it is still sort of early August, and hot and humid. I've been a mother for nearly 3 months now, and I think I am starting to get the hang of it. I still struggle, but it is getting easier. I am less exhausted, and I feel more exhilerated most of the time.

My son will be spending another year in preschool. I don't disagree with that, because he is small for his age. Academically he is ready for kindergarten, but the social piece isn't there. I disagree with the fact that he is in a special ed class. I've noticed that he has more autistic behaviors when he is around autistic children. He does much better around normal kids. I feel like I am bucking the system when I tell people this. Apparently his teacher over the summer thought that he really isnt normal. The developmental ped thinks he's profoundly autistic. Funny, I don't see it and I live with him. I feel like I am banging my head against the wall with this. I want the best for my boy that I could possibly give, and I feel like treating him as normal as possible is important.

I have started with working on academics with him at home. He is on an IEP at school so I am working on his IEP goals. I mean he's 4, going on 5. Lets be realistic about goals here....

My own personal goals for him for the rest of August:
1. work on his cutting skills. He didn't know how to use a pair of scissors
2. get him signed up for play therapy. he doesn't know how to play. seriously.
3. have him dress himself consistently.

I am beginning to think that I am crazy with all that I want to do for my son....I just called his pediatrician to get a referral for play therapy for him. I want him to be as close to normal as possible. Why doesn't anyone outside my family seem to share the same goal that I have? I am not denying his disability, but on the other hand I want him to lead the most full, wonderful life possible.

No comments: