Saturday, August 14, 2010

No Shoes, No Agenda, No Problem

Its the first day of my vacation. I have no idea what the next week has in store for me, but I am looking forward to it. I am looking forward to time with my boys. No agenda, no real plans. Just the 3 of us, hanging out & have fun. Most of all, I am looking forward to rest. That's my favorite 4 letter word right now.
Rest.
Something that I don't do very well in the real world. I go, go and go and then collapse. The problem with this is basically its ineffective. But I have made some serious inroads into getting my life back. Part of it is being on automatic pilot most mornings, getting stuff done around the house. I get up, write, work out. I realized that I don't need to work out for an hour every day-I just need to be consistent at it. So, I am being consistent. I get on the treadmill, even its for 15 minutes. I do my yoga. I swap out laundry, and now its all caught up all the time. I swifter the floors and feather dust. I swish & swipe both bathrooms, make the beds and tidy up the kitchen. Its all stuff that is very important to me to get done before I leave for work. I don't like leaving the house messy before I go out the door.
I am not a cleaning fanatic by any stretch of the imagination. Ask the Big Man, since one of the biggest sources of conflict in our marriage has been my cleaning skills (or lack thereof). I do like having a reasonably tidy home, and I really try hard to maintain it. There are days when I am more successful than others, and some days its a real struggle. But I do know that I have made slow and steady progress towards my goal. I have gotten to the point where I feel like I could almost be ok with how the house looks.
Its taken me 3 very long years to get here. I thought I had it under control before I became a mom, and then motherhood threw me for a loop. It really did-and I've struggled to regain control. Its just recaliberating my reality. Some people adapt overnight-me, I guess I am a slow learner. But I am happy that I am going into vacation knowing that I am in a good place, and I don't have to spend most of it cleaning, which is how I usually spend my time off. Today, no agenda. Tomorrow, no real agenda. All week.
I feel like I am in a Kenny Chesney song...no shoes, no agenda, no problem.

No comments: