Sunday, August 15, 2010

Stray Cat Strut

In March, we had to put our cat, Buddy down after 17 years of companionship. It was the first time I had been feline free since I was 14, and it was a little strange. I have always been a cat lover, and it broke my heart when I didn't have one anymore. I didn't miss the mess that went along with having a cat, but I did miss the love.

Don't get me wrong-I live my puppy dog totally and completely. That's a different kind of love. Dogs love you unconditionally. Cats, well you are an aquired taste. The Little Man wanted a cat of his own since forever. For some odd reason, the Big Man & I were at a weak point yesterday afternoon and we went to the animal shelter.

And we came home with a 6 week old orange and white kitten, Kitty Kat (real name witheld for obvious reasons). He is all leg and ears. Little Man started the beginning of their new friendship by introducing K2 to all his toys (and I mean all of them). He couldn't wait for him to come out of the carrier to play.

K2 slept on the little man's bookcase last night before hiding under the dresser. Puppy dog isn't sure what to make of him. Some barking, but nothing crazy going on-yet.

Its Sunday, and I started my morning with coffee, yoga and some cuddle time with the puppy dog. Now I'm catching up with TV viewing on demand-Ghost Hunters International (which I keep meaning to watch, but never get a chance to on Wednesday nights). This morning we have the Blessing of the Backpacks at church, then its off to go grocery shopping (what's a staycation without food?) I need snacks for all of us: watermelon, apple slices, cheese-its, juice boxes, melon, berries, yogurt. We also need meals-simple, nutritious, filling. And I have to have to make sure we have enough coffee and creamer to get through the week.

Sunday-I am thinking rubber chicken, because I can get a few meals out of it.
Monday-banana bread french toast, minted melon salad, sunshine punch.
Lunch at the county fair, and pasta for dinner with salad and garlic bread and mock tiramisu for dessert.
Tuesday-quiche, fruit, sunshine punch for brunch. Lunch will be fiesta chicken soup and quesadillas for lunch. Dinner will be stir fry chicken, rice, stir fry veggies and orange jello for dessert.
Wednesday-toad in the hole and fruit for breakfast; lunch will be leftovers and dinner is going to be pork loin, potatoes and glazed carrots with leftovers for dessert.
Thursday-breakfast will be apple cinnamon muffins, fruit and punch. Lunch will be cafe rio pork salad. Dinner will be tacos, refried beans and rice with tres leches cake.
Friday-breakfast will be an egg bake and fruit, Lunch will be pulled pork sandwiches, chips and carrot sticks and I am planning on us eating dinner out.
Saturday-quiche, fruit and salad for a lazy, leisurely brunch. Enjoying the last of vacation! The rest of the meals that day will fall into place.

Its vacation, and I really need to teach myself how to relax. I don't know how to do it very well. My mind is always going a million miles an hour, and it is frustrating to me-because I want to rest my body and mind. I constantly feel as if I am juggling a million balls, and unable to catch any of them. So my big focus this week is to not focus at all. I think the problem I suffer from the most is feeling that I need to control everything. Its not healthy, and its not conducive to family life. Its also a huge burden to carry. I just want to enjoy my family and my time with them, without feeling overwhelmed.

So this week I will try to not have an agenda or to do list. I need to do the daily cleaning (swifter, dust, swish & swipe, tidy the kitchen, room of the day) that I always do, and next weekend do the deep cleaning of the bedrooms (wash windows, rotate mattresses, wash comforters, lemon oil woodwork)to keep up with the house. Other than that, and the evening committments I have, I am looking forward to being able to rest. I have provided myself-and my family-a framework to keep up with things, and not get sucked into the whirlwind that I usually cause to have happen in my life.

Vacation is good.

No comments: