Saturday, December 25, 2010

Silent Night


Its very early Christmas morning, and a combination of excitement & pain is keeping me from sleeping. I'm in my chair, enjoying the predawn quiet, looking at the tree & all the booty underneath it.

But that's just part of the story. Today is Jesus' birthday. That's the reason for the season. Sure we give gifts, etc but that's not it entirely.2000+ years ago, a little baby was born in a stable in Bethlehem. This seemingly insignificant event transformed the world, and as a result, my life.

I try to keep that in perspective as I gear up for the holidays, but sometimes that message gets lost in everything. I, like so many other mommys out there, get wrapped up in the season and lose our rudders.

I woke up with a sense of peace this morning, despite the pain and general uncomfortableness due to the surgery. I had a reaction to percosets yesterday, to the point my body was numb and I couldn't move. I basically laid in bed all day due to this. Not fun, and I felt I was doing a great.disservice to my family. However, as the medication wore off, I began to feel normal. Little Man & I decorated cookies for Santa. After he went to bed, the presents came out & stockings were stuffed. I made my famous French toast, with the big man & my mother in law doing the heavy lifting for me. I've made the French toast for 8 Christmases now, since we were first married. I don't have a lot of traditions, and really none from childhood, but this is one of them that I have created for myself.

Overnight French toast

White bread

6 eggs

1/2 c sugar

1 c milk

1 tsp cinnamon

Place bread in baking dish, with slices overlapping. Mix all other ingredients together, pour over bread. Refrigerate overnight. Bake at 375 for 30 minutes.

No comments: