Friday, January 28, 2011

Eye of the tiger


 Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior - WSJ.com 

I am so not a tiger mother. I encourage my son to be himself. He is naturally smart, so I don't have to worry about his intellectual ability.

And I praise him, probably more than some might think is appropriate, but its heartfelt. I AM incredibly proud of him. He's exceeded everyone's expectations and then some. Many years ago, a developmental pediatrician basically told us the we were looking at him never co mingling with his peers or being in a regular classroom or basically being a normal kid. He was wrong.

I have essentially ign.ored all parenting advice that I've been given over the years, especially those for special needs kids. I.know my kid, the "experts" don't. He is chronologically 8; but other areas of development are all over the place. Intellectually he's around 10 or 11. Socially, he's about 6. Emotionally around 4 or 5. I have learned how to manage that age range, and I think I do a pretty good job at it.

I consider myself a rockstar mommy.

Right now I can tell little man needs to be challenged again. He's not into expanding his horizons again, and he needs that. It's this whole I want to isolate myself & hunker down in my jammies & play video games.

Not. Going. To. Happen.

He needs to do different things. Post op a lot of things slid, but I need to get back on track. Little man works in his workbook; we read every night; we practice math & spelling. It's been a bit of a struggle since I went back to work. The exhaustion is overwhelming. I struggle to stay upright after dinner.

Little man asked me the other night about yoga. He & I at one point, would do it on mats, side by side. Then somehow we stopped. If he's asking me to do it, then I think we need to start again.

Yoga will give him discipline. It will help him with emotional control. It will help with focus & attention span. So many positive gains. What do we have to lose?

Instead of tiger mother, I'm downward dog mother.

No comments: