Friday, February 18, 2011

Discipline


I had an interesting conversation with another mom regarding discipline this week.

I really didn't have much to say about this topic. We have a different view on punishments in our home. I don't like using the "a" word, but autism does change everything. We really only punish for something major, like not telling the truth or willfully disobeying us. It's hard to punish a little person who does quite understand what's going on.

Autism does color our world and it does provide a framework for everything we do as a family. I don't think of things like that as much as I did a few years ago, but its still there.

I overlook a lot of things that would be punishable offenses in other families. I cook separate meals because of texture issues. I help with getting stuff ready for school. I go over what's going to happen at certain events to prevent meltdowns. I have to go over basic hygiene everyday & remind him.

On the other hand, his IQ is off the charts. He is so super duper smart, and is capable of so many things intellectually, that I really overlook some of the quirky behaviors. It's not that u excuse them, you just don't focus on them so much.

In the beginning, it was hard. There were days I was so disheartened & worn down by daily existence. I started this blog on one of those dark days. Things have Definately improved over the years & I'm grateful for everyday we have as a family.

I can honestly say I love my life.

No comments: