Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Bicycle Race

I grew up in a family whose idea of roughing it was a manual can opener and Motel 6. Where I come from is anybody’s guess. I love mountain biking. I used to go all the time in New England. There was a period of my life from when I was 18 until about 26 or 30 when I was active and engaged in life. I mountain biked, I rock climbed, I skied, I roller bladed-I basically did it all. I love hiking. It was only after I tore all the ligaments in my right knee and was laid up for the better part of a year that I stopped doing all those things.




Post injury, I was in an immobilizer for 4 months and on crutches for a total of six months. I did physical therapy when I was able to get a ride (it was my right leg, so I couldn’t drive), but that was sporadic at best. Plus, to punctuate the injury, I developed blood clots in my leg so I was laid up on blood thinners after the initial injury had healed. Since then, I really haven’t been as active or physical in my life. I stopped running outdoors because it hurt too much on my knee. I had several braces, but it still hurt. I did still bike, but I did trail riding along the Delaware Canal tow path, mostly from Washington Crossing to Lambertville and back (of course there would be a break for brunch). I really didn’t ride much once I hit 30, primarily because most of the people I hung out with weren't interested or were busy with their families. It wasn't as much fun going solo, but I muddled through'

I would love to get active again, and that its not too late to. One thing I would love to do is go mountain biking. I particularly enjoyed riding the trails through the White Mountains of New Hampshire. The trails are spectacular and remarkably well groomed, and offer several levels so beginner through expert could go and find their adventure. One of my first adventures was at Franconia Notch. The lincoln woods trail to Franconia falls was my favorite, which follows partially an old railroad line.

It's one thing to walk a trail. It's something else entirely to RIDE it. To be almost one with the forest, zipping along the trees is somewhat primordial. As Robert Frost once said about the New England forest:


Vague dream-head lifted out of the ground,
And thing next most diffuse to cloud,
Not all your light tongues talking aloud
Could be profound.

But tree, I have seen you taken and tossed


Mountain biking provided me the perfect opportunity to sample various granolas. I've played around with mine over the years and I think I've perfected my recipe.

4 c oats
1/2 c maple syrup
2 tbsp peanut butter
1c nuts
1 c dried fruit
1/2 c molasses
1/4 c honey
1/2 c water
1/3 c flax seeds
1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice

Preheat oven to 350.
Toast oats for 10 minutes. Let cool. Soak dried fruits in water to plump up. Drain.
In a mixing bowl add ingredients & mix well. Turn out into a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes. Let cool. Store in an air tight container.

But I digress...

A Less rigorous ride would be cycling through either napa valley or Provence. I just think it would be splendid. I have always imagined riding along a path of lavender, and stopping for a delightful repast of cheese, bread and grapes. Closer to home, we have miles of bike trails in town that wind along the Big Sioux River. It's 26 miles of paved trails. Id love to take advantage of it, but i have no way to transport bikes in my car. Actually, if I was really determined I could, but I'm not. Little man likes to ride. I got teen queen a bike but she has no interest or desire to ride, and the big man doesn't like to either.

To quote queen:
I like to ride my bicycle
I like to ride my bike
I like to ride my bicycle
I like to ride it where I like

No comments: