Tuesday, January 03, 2012

We Belong Together

At the heart of it all, I really am organized. In fact, I can be downright anal sometimes. My problem is the lack of consistency. I get everything organized, it's keeping it up that I struggle with.
I could give a thousand different excuses why it happens, but they all point back to me just being tired. I've dealt with chronic exhaustion. Sleep issues have plagued me for years. I've dealt with chronic anemia. My diet and exercise regimen has been spotty at best.
So, what does this mean for getting organized? Actually, a lot. If you arent taking care of yourself, chances are you aren't taking of everything else.
If you wake up tired everyday and cant get out of bed, chances are your sleep quality isn't good. Keep track of your sleep for a week and see if there's a pattern. Talk to your doctor too; some medications can cause sleep issues. You may have apnea or another medical issue that a sleep study may help.
If there isn't an underlying medical issue, look at what happens before bed. Are you too caffeinated or stressed too sleep? Too hot or cold? You actually need to start planning for bed by 5 or 6 at night.
Get to know your body's rhythms.
What works for me is a cup of sleepy time tea, some gentle yoga and spending time in prayer. If I'm really stressed, I journal.
If you are waking up ready to face the day, you are more likely to keep up with everything else.
Make sure you are drinking adequate water-if you are dehydrated, you feel tired and blah. Do you go into a food coma after dinner? Then what you're eating might not be in your best interest. Plus exercise is so important. Even 15 minutes a day can make a difference.
Getting organized means more than cleaning your cabinets out. Taking care of yourself and taking care of your home belong together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNVppzEqUmM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

No comments: