Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Into the Light

I love twitter. I think of all the social media options available, it's my favorite. There's a lot that can be said in 140 characters. I've learned things, including recipes, gotten into incredible discussions on everything from breast cancer to the church and social media and forged relationships. One such relationship that was forged is with Lisa Adams.

When I first started on Twitter, she was one of the first tweeters I followed. She was, like me, a mom, a blogger, a suburban fashionista and a voracious reader. She is an avid garden aficionado. I have gotten many ideas for my own garden from the pictures of hers. Our kids have at various times, been involved in similiar activities. Her youngest son as well as the Little Man have had occupational therapy, which is cause for solidarity. It is a treatment where success is measured in moments and minituae, so it's something that we can share triumphs. 

Over the years, Lisa's "twitter famous" bit is her Monday pleads. Each week, she would ask her followers to make an appointment that they've been putting off. In most cases, it's a simple phone call. Thanks to the weekly reminders, I got over myself and had my mammo. I had a "negative" experience when I had my first one at 35, and basically refused to have another...until a few years ago. It's also encouraging me to share it with friends that might not appreciate my nagging. 

One thing we don't have in common is that she has dealt with breast cancer, and I have not. We are the same age, so on one level it's a sucker punch, because according to the media, we are supposed to get in our prime, not dealing with a chronic health issue.

 My mother in law is now almost 9 years post  treatment, but (no offense) she's older. It's very different when it's someone in your demographic. My only other experience is running a 5k each year to help support our local cancer center. 
I love running and I put my extensive network to use to raise over $800 for this past May's race (bringing my total to about $6500 raised over the last 8 years to benefit local cancer patients). 


Some experts bemoan how social media encourages us to overshare. We have gotten so narcissistic, that we take selfies everywhere (including funerals, apparently). We share our pithy thoughts, our meals, our everyday minutiae. 

I don't completely buy that argument. I think we also benefit from relationships that might never be part of our lives. The online autism community is one such example. For many of us, it's a lifeline. I have heard that be truth for other chronic diseases as well. I think that much of the backlash from this so called over sharing has come from those who aren't dealing with crisis. For many of us, we have emerged from the shadows. We've put a face on diseases and disorders that many wish would remain anonymous. We've made them be human & relatable. It's easier to ignore something, whether it's autism, ms or metastatic breast cancer, when you don't know someone with it.
I like being in the light.

No comments: