Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Om

I've been practicing meditation for almost 30 years now. It started as teenage rebellion, now I can't imagine my life without it. 




I have a meditation space set up in my bedroom, next to my bed. I start and end my day there. 




A few years ago, I took a kundalini workshop and it helped transform my practice. One meditation in particular has really changed my life. I do the anti stress shower every night (when I don't, I notice the difference.) it helps real ease energy and gets me ready for sleep.



The 3HO foundation has it on their website http://www.3ho.org/kundalini-yoga/pranayam/meditation-alleviate-your-stress

Posture: Sit in a comfortable meditative posture with a straight spine–chin in, and chest lifted, hands in Gyan Mudra or any other comfortable meditative mudra.


Eyes: Close your eyes and concentrate on your breath.

Breath: Inhale through the nose in 8 equal strokes. Exhale through the nose in one deep and powerful stroke.

Time: 11 minutes.

To End: Inhale deeply and hold the breath 5-10 seconds. Exhale. Inhale deeply and hold the breath 15-20 seconds and roll your shoulders. Exhale powerfully. Inhale deeply and hold the breath 15-20 seconds and roll the shoulders as fast as you can. Exhale and relax.


I use a meditation timer app on my phone, and have a meditation playlist. Just like with anything else, the more you do it, the easier it gets. When I first started meditating, I couldn't turn off the chatter in my mind. It's gotten better over the years, but sometimes it's really there. That's when I know I need meditation more than ever.


No comments: