Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Black Gold

When I first started taking yoga in the late 80’s, my teacher had spent a considerable amount of time on an ashram. In between our asana practice, she would discuss life there, and one thing she mentioned was using castor oil to clean her face (and body). I thought she was nuts, especially since we use it as a laxative in this country. Fast forward several dozen years, and it’s now common place, at least on line.

I started using the oil cleansing method (OCM) about a year ago, but nothing consistent. I liked my L’Oreal 360 face wash too much. Then it ran out, and based on my experience with my facial moisturizer, I was reluctant to try a new product. I decided to really make a go of using OCM on a regular basis. I decided to clean my face with it each night, and see what kind of results I got after a month.



Me, being skeptical by nature, was shocked at the difference it made. My skin looked younger and brighter. I didn’t have my shiny T-zone spots anymore.


I was a convert.

It’s really simple-and actually cost effective. I use a mix of castor oil and jojoba (which is what I use for aromatherapy, so I already had it in the house). I keep it in a bottle on my bathroom counter, and wash nightly.

Pour a little in your hand, and rub it into your face in concentric circles. I usually leave it on for about 5 or so minutes. (I usually brush my teeth and wipe down the bathroom. Multitasking) Then, wet a washcloth with the warmest water you can tolerate and put on your face. Leave on your face until it cools. That’s it.

I don’t moisturize afterwards, and use my face cream in the morning. If I am feeling greasy and icky in the morning, I will make a quick wipe with apple cider vinegar, but that doesn’t happen very often.

No comments: