Tuesday, June 03, 2014

Hot Dog!

People either love sauerkraut or they hate it. I grew up in a family of sauerkraut lovers, and I am not ashamed to admit it. I can’t eat cabbage but I can eat it as slaw or as sauerkraut. I love it fried down with pierogis, but my favorite is on a hot dog. There is nothing like a hot dog, sauerkraut and mustard. To me, that is the ultimate summer food.



 

I have been trying my hand at new things, and one of them is fermented food. Sauerkraut is basically fermented cabbage. I never realized how easy (or delicious) it was to make, otherwise I would have been making it for years.

 

You need:

A glass jar

Shredded cabbage

Caraway seeds

Salt

Water




 

Put the cabbage in the jar. Add the seeds and salt. (I stir mine together to make sure it’s well combined) Add water to completely cover the cabbage. Cover loosely to have air circulation. It takes about 7-10 days to properly ferment.

 

To serve: heat thoroughly

No comments: