Thursday, August 14, 2014

All By Myself

Many years ago, I had a job where I travelled a lot. In most cases, I was by myself, so I had to learn to eat by myself, go to the movies by myself and just generally be with myself.
For some folks, that's a terrifying concept.
For me, I rather enjoyed it.
I always have a book with me, so it's a chance to read. There are no awkward silences. I don't have to make small talk. I eat lunch by myself most days at work. I put my headphones on, listen to a podcast or WXPN on my radio app, read and have 30 minutes of solitude.
I like to go to the movies. That's great, except no one else in my house does. We have this amazing independent film group here in town called Cinema Falls. I really enjoy the movies they show, and I have no problems going by myself. I have some of Icon lounge's awesome guacamole & chips and a few cokes and its a beautiful night out for me.
I guess on some levels I like being alone. I'm comfortable with that. I don't have an overwhelming need to be around people all the time. I choose who I surround myself with. 





No comments: