Monday, August 25, 2014

She's a Beauty

As a woman almost in my mid 40's, my definition of beauty has changed over the years. I used to think that just supermodels could be beautiful. Or those that could be supermodels. I could never live up to those lofty standards.
Motherhood changed me. 

It was as if my eyes were opened for the first time. 
Beauty doesn't just rest with the so called pretty people.

There is beauty in a bride on her wedding day, kissing her groom.

There is beauty in a mother holding her baby for the first time.

There is beauty in generations, sharing genetics, family history and love.

There is beauty in milestones being met, toddlers wobbling, tying shoes, riding a bike, and the joy parents feel.

There is beauty in late nights, sunrises, sunsets and the minutes in between.

There is beauty in a really good meal or a really good cup of coffee.
It's not the beauty that most people think of.

Conventional beauty doesn't matter. I don't need so called experts to give me a narrow definition of what they think. I used to read the beauty (and other women's) magazines. I bought the products. I succumbed to the marketing. I still didn't fit the definition. 

I have curves where "they" said I shouldn't. 

I really don't need make up on a daily basis.

I like wearing clothes that jazz me, not what some fashion buyers are convincing others to wear.

I wish I had this confidence 30 years ago, because it would have saved me heartache and pain.

I'm teaching my son that beauty surrounds us. I'm teaching him that a woman's appearance isn't the sum of who she is. I'm teaching him that what other people think is beautiful should be seen through his own filter.


And the most beautiful thing in the world is love.

No comments: