Sunday, September 14, 2014

Love the one you're with

For a good chunk of my life, Ive been all about losing weight & looking good.

 I'd see pictures in magazines-even ones supposedly catering to healthy lifestyles or feminism-and think that I wasn't good enough & could never measure up.

Over the years, I'd yo yo diet. Lose 5, gain 10. I had issues with binge eating. I'd use food to soothe emotions and stress. 


I became so focused on taking care of my family and working, I put myself last. 

 The next thing I knew, I had gained almost 100lbs. That was the easy part. All it took was me not caring what I put in my mouth and not moving. 



I numbed myself out, between food and Facebook. 


I can't say I had an epiphany or anything. It wasn't one thing that changed my perception. I just decided I needed to take care of myself and then everything and everyone else.

This is what's working for me:

1. Eat breakfast every day. 

2. Drink half my body weight in water every day

3. Get enough sleep

4. Move every day. 

5. Make a list of why you want to improve your health. Mine was looking at my mother in a hospital bed, dealing with a host of health issues, many weight related

6. Find your tribe to love & support you

7. Be patient

8. Learn what your triggers are. Develop skills to deal with them

9. Don't compare yourself to anyone else. 

Go for YOUR personal best

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I would like to share something that I learned at the Columbus Zoo recently, and which makes the picture at the top of this post that much funnier:

The orangutan in that meme is actually *female*.

Unknown said...

That being said, I think it still adds a lot to the post. Good luck!