Sunday, October 12, 2014

B-I-B-L-E

One of yoga’s niyamas is studying sacred texts. I come from a Christian background, so my spiritual text is the Bible. I have been part of Bible studies for a long time, dating back to when I was in high school. I also have been an avid journaler since I was about my son’s age. As I got older, I began to take notes (and then journal) what I was reading in scripture. I think I have as many prayer and scripture journals, as I do for regular ones.

 

Studying scripture is an important part of my spiritual life. As I study, I jot notes, reflections and impressions in my journal. I also take notes during sermons sometimes, especially if something really touches my heart or moves me. Poems, writings from secular sources that relate to the scripture I am studying also get added. All that winds up in my scripture journal. I also add prayer requests and intentions (from my intender’s circle) and answers to prayer.  Sometimes, I add pictures or artwork.

 

I love going back to my old journals and tracking my faith progress, as well as proof that prayers are answered. There are certain passages that seem to reoccur as well, and I love seeing how I’ve grown over the years. Its also a great inspiration for my son-he sees both his parents walking in their faith, and he can feel confident growing in his.

No comments: