Saturday, November 22, 2014

Sugar for my tea

I have a deep, deep love for kombucha. I am not a big fan of paying $4/bottle for it, however. That was one of my primary reasons to start making it myself. I posted the basics here http://mommydomchronicles.blogspot.com/2014/05/kombucha.html, but the real magic comes when you add flavors and do a second ferment. 

I originally wanted to do a lemon ginger, but was out of lemon. I substituted lime and it turned into something magical.

To do a second ferment, you need to take some previously brewed kombucha and pour it into a bottle. I'm kinda like a green freak, so I recycled a bottle of kombucha past and poured into it my brew. I added a half of a lime that was sliced and a knob of ginger.



Then I waited.




The second ferment only take a few days, and this was perfect. There was a natural carbonation, and the flavors combined just perfectly.

Heaven. In a bottle.

No comments: