Sunday, February 01, 2015

Sunrise, Sunset


Part of my journey towards a more simple life and slowing down was incorporating a Sabbath into our family routine. The Biblical concept of a Sabbath is a day of rest 
Between working full time, kids activities and volunteer commitments, we were being run ragged most days. My house was a mess, our diets were a mess and I was one hot mess all the way around. My family going to Florida on a boys only trip gave me the space to create a Sabbath. I took my rest.
I realized that my on the go lifestyle had totally and completely drained me. I needed to re-evaluate my life and figure out how to make a complete day off possible. 
It took a lot of thought and preparation, but I knew I could do it.

Preparation is key.

I had to re calibrate my life to make the Sabbath concept work, but it was so worth it. Keeping up with my house every day helped make things easier on Saturday. I limit errands on Saturdays too, because I want to spend time with my family. Since I stopped recreational shopping, this is possible. 

I clean the house, finish the laundry and prep the meals for Sunday.

Everything is ready to go, so on Sunday we as a family can rest.

I have started making challah, which is a super treat. 

I like the concept of sundown to sundown, but the rest of my family hasn't quite bought in. I developed my own ritual. At sundown on Saturday, I light a candle and read Sunday's lectionary. I have a glass of sparkling grape juice, and journal. 








No comments: