Sunday, May 08, 2016

Self Esteem

You have searched me, Lord, and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my tongue you, Lord, know it completely. You hem me in behind and before, and you lay your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain.”
Psalm 139:1-6 NIV
http://bible.com/111/psa.139.1-6.niv

One of my biggest struggles in life is self esteem. I really have a hard time believing that I am worthy of anything, most especially all that I've been blessed with.(and believe me, I've been blessed beyond measure)
When I start feeling like that, I go to the Psalms. David, most beloved, King of Isreal, ancestor of Jesus, was very human. He was a blatant sinner, and despite his lofty position, also struggled with feeling worthy. 
I love the reminders pointed out in Psalm 139. God knows us. He knows everything about us. He knows when we do right-and wrong. He is present with us no matter what we do. 
If God thinks I'm so special, to spend this time & focus on me...then there must be something pretty special about me. 

No comments: