Sunday, January 06, 2008

2008 Here we are

Its been a rocky start to the year for my family. My mother spent a few days in the hospital, with stroke like symptoms. On so many levels, this has really strengthened my resolve on improving my life.
My mother waited outside her house for the paramedics because she is ashamed of what it looks like. She is a hoarder. I have tried and tried and tried to motivate her, but nothing seems to work. I am so afraid that I am going to wind up like her someday. She doesn't clean, period. She has piles and piles of stuff everywhere. I don't know if its an issue of depression or laziness or what-I am not a doctor, but I do have some theories about it. This has been going on for years, but now its full blown. I know that I have some tendencies towards it myself. I have to really push myself to be neat and tidy. I know for myself, its not really laziness its more distraction. I find other things to do, or I so hyperfocus on something that I don't accomplish anything. I have slowly been weeding through things, and eliminating a lot of the clutter in my life. Yesterday, I cleaned out my pantry and it felt good. I felt like I did something positive.
My mother also has refused to take care of her health. Its like she hides her head in the sand, pretending its not a problem. I hope that this wakeup call does something for her. I know when I realized how bad I let myself get, it was terrifying. I did not have an immediate health crisis, but I was heading that way. My cholesterol and triglycerides were sky high-I was basically a ticking time bomb. I decided that I wanted to be healthy and I have gone about changing my entire life.
I have had varying degrees of success with this plan. I have lost almost 25 lbs. since this all began, without really doing anything special. I am trying to get on a regular exercise plan. I do workout just not very consistently. I also am trying to work on a consistent healthy eating plan.
I do have to get on with my day. I have to make a meal for the mothers ministry at church. I want to go buy a couple of new comforters because we have family coming this week. So...I have to eat breakfast, take a shower cook...shop...relax and play with my little man and puppy dog.

No comments: