Thursday, August 26, 2010

welcome to paradise

The Little Man is now officially a second grader. Its amazing how fast he's growing up. It seems like yesterday we were starting preschool, and now here he is...a second grader.
Second grade, I think, is a pivotal year. Its more work and less play than kindergarten or first. There is much more learning going on. I think its also a make or break year for kids. If you don't have a really great second grade teacher, some kids may stop loving learning or wanting to be at school.
It seems that the Little Man's teacher is pretty good. She is organized, which to me is huge. She has very specific standards and expectations. He has certain assignments that have to be done every week. He has to read for 20 minutes every day. He has to do 30 minutes of math (like playing math bingo or using flashcards) every week. Spelling test every Friday.
The routine is set.
I was thinking back to when I was in second grade. I didn't like my teacher, and she didn't like me so the feeling was mutual. I really disliked second grade immensely. The Princess had a pretty negative experience in second grade as well. So obviously, I am a little nervous about things with the little man and how things go.
First day went well and he seems very happy.
Tonight is our first PTO meeting and I am currently baking brownies at 5:30 in the morning because I was too darn tired after youth group last night to do it. I need to tidy up the house a little bit, put some laundry away and prep dinner (sloppy joes).
Getting back in the groove of things at work has been difficult to say the least. I am struggling with catching up and cleaning off my desk. I am struggling with re-establishing routine, and that bothers me. And I am struggling with eating at work. I realize I snack and eat so much more when I am there, vs when I am home.
But that is going to change.
I was doing so well with keeping up the house and all that last week, and even in the beginning of this week. Yesterday I seemed to have lost it somehow. But it is easy to regain. I overslept yesterday-and it was ok because I was still able to get all done that needed doing-but that puts me at a serious disadvantage.
I struggle with the endless to do lists and the impact it has on my family. I do realize the fact that I keep up the house daily helps, and the fact that I am trying my best to not be frustrated at my son's sense of time. It starts his day off on the wrong note, and I don't want that. I want the smile on his face, a spring in his step and laughter all around. I want every morning to start off by thinking its paradise in our house.

No comments: