Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Enjoying the Ride

My nose it stuffed up and drippy at the same time. Dratted allergies, I don't like ragweed season. It makes me miserable.
I have a lot of plates currently up in the air right now and I am juggling as fast as I can. For PTO, I've got to put the finishing touches on the harvest fair, the school directory and our first big fundraiser to deal with. For church, I've got a St. Francis day party to finalize planning on, an all saints day party to finish planning, and November to look forward to. Then there is everything else.

I've been meaning to take out my fall decorations, but that hasn't happened yet. I've also been meaning to pull the weeds in my garden, plant fall bulbs so I have tulips, daffodils and hycacinths in the spring, and a gazillion other things around the house that just need to be done.

I try to split my time between the kiddos, and that is a very steep learning curve. I am so used to my little man, and HG is radically different. When he was little, if I told him to go play he would. He was able to be independent and capable of imaginative play. HG, unfortunately, is not. Its not her fault-its obvious no one spent the time doing so. She is 3, and can't count to 5, doesn't know her colors, shapes or letters. She can't draw even a stick figure. Its not her fault, but it is a steep learning curve.

There is so much talk lately about the failure of the education system. Politicians have made it a hot button issue this election season. There is a documentary out in theatres right now all about it. However, the last few weeks of my life have shown that its not really the education system that its entirely at fault. There needs to be parental responsibility. Kids are not just going to pull these basic skills out of thin air, parents need to lay the basic foundations at home. I can't imagine not making teaching moments happen when possible. I've done that with the little man from day one.
I also can't imagine that your child is not with you for a week and you aren't moving heaven and earth to find her. HG has had a runny nose and watery eyes since she came here, and I talked to the case worker yesterday about it and got permission to take her to the doctor. So, she's going today to see her peditrician-who she hasn't been to in the last 18 months. Basically, she's not going to her well child visits-to make sure she is on track developmentally and physically. Basically, its like neglecting your parental responsibility of wanting what's best for your little person.

I guess I have a different view on parenting, because I find my little man to be such an absolute joy in my life-even in the difficult moments. He brings so much happiness into our lives and home, and I couldn't imagine life without him. To me, the greatest honor and privilige I could have is being called "Mom". I love it when I get a spontaneous hug from him, or when he is excited to see me after a long day at work. I can't get enough of him overall.
I was granted this awesome responsibility to be the little man's mommy and its a role I take rather seriously. But not so seriously that I forget to have fun and enjoy the ride.

No comments: