Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Our houseguest went home yesterday. Right now, I don't think I want to foster anyone for a while. Its not that I don't want to help these kids, because believe me I do, its heart breaking to know that they were removed from a home for a reason. Then they get sent back there 10 or so days later when the court order expires-like anything has really changed.
What breaks my heart the most is the last two little girls we've fostered have had significant developmental delays. The fact that they didn't know colors, shapes, numbers, letters, any of the basic skills a 3 year old would know-and what's worse, no one cared enough to get them help-is just starting to set them up for failure later in life. They will be behind their peers from the get go.

It made me recognize how truly blessed that my little man is as smart as he is. I mean, at 3 he was READING books for goodness sakes!! He is really smart, period. But he's not nerdy which is awesome. He knows how to have fun and be a regular kid, and I love that side of him. I do have a quandry-I would love for him to sign up for the chess club at school, but I don't want him to be a "geek"-I just want him to learn how to play the game. Decisions, decisions.

For the last 2 weeks, I've been suffering horrendously from allergies. I'm completely congested, and I finally broke down and bought sudafed. I don't particularly care for taking that type of medication, but it works really well and its helping drain my sinuses out. Add to it my little trick of doing neti treatments, and it is helping-not as much as I would love it to, but working nonetheless. Thankfully, my boys don't have allergies for the most part, so I don't have to worry about them. But I feel diminished because I feel like crud. Its not like a cold where it runs its course and its done. No...allergies are ongoing and continual. There isn't any endgame in sight.

So, today I have another jampacked day. I have to go to work, come home get changed, go to youth group, return library books and then make sure little man takes a shower and does homework. I have to defrost chicken for dinner tomorrow, and finish up a gazillion things for PTO. In between do laundry and tidy up the house. Plan out my grocery shopping trip for this week.
If I go according to "plan" this is the week I restock my cleaning supplies-which means a trip to Target as well. Actually, my cleaning list looks like some people's grocery list: vinegar, baking soda, denture tablets, lemon juice, rubbing alcohol. The best cleaner I have found is vinegar and water, mixed in a spray bottle (I add essential oil to it to kill the vinegar smell). Baking soda is a great cleaner for the sink and bathtub. If you throw a denture tablet in the toilet before you go to bed or before you leave the house, when you check it hours later, it helps clean the toilet effortlessly.
But I do use "regular" products too. I am currently in love with the mr. clean bathroom scrubber. It works great, and again, very little effort (I'm all about the lazy cleaning). I love Method products-especially the daily shower, daily granite (cleans my counters awesomely) and wood for good (smells nice!!). The big man loves ammonia...I can't take the smell so its not an option here!

No comments: