Friday, October 01, 2010

When I was younger, I used to look forward to the weekends for different reasons than I do now. Then it was a chance to hang with my friends, shop, party, go places, what not. When I met the Big Man, it added another level to it because we did things together as well. I also would spend time with the Princess-the Art Museum at Princeton University had a great children's program that she loved going to with me. I biked the Delaware Raritan canal tow path with my friends from Lambertville to Frenchtown. I would go to New Hope and window shop and go out to eat. In the summer, we'd go to the shore (but it was nothing like Jersey Shore)

Fast forward some years, and here we are today. My weekends are like many working moms-grocery shopping, cleaning the house, running errands, and cramming so much in that I am exhausted come Monday. Actually, I think that this is some of the root cause of my exhaustion. Its this whirlwind for 48 or so hours, and then...I feel nothing gets accomplished. I look at my to-do list, which never seems to shrink mind you, and I just want to run and put the covers over my head.
A sample:
1. buy birthday present for Juliet
2. pull out weeds from garden and get it ready for winter
3. plant fall bulbs
4. bring out fall decorations
5. decorate for halloween
6. clean house
7. do laundry
8. go grocery shopping
9. clean house
10. review lesson plan for Sunday
11. do laundry
12. prep stuff for the week
13. spend time with my family
14. get hair cut
15. get eyebrows waxed
16. get manicure
17. go to hobby lobby & pick up beads to make rosaries
18. iron shirts
19. give puppy dog medicine
20. relax

See what I mean? There's more out there too, but I won't get into that. I get frustrated because I try to accomplish things, but it seems as if there are obstacles at every turn. I try to keep up with the house during the week, but it seems as if gremlins come in and dump toys in my living room every night. I always seem to be behind by at least one laundry basket.
I was talking with a friend of mine, who is the mom of several AND her husband travels a lot on business. Granted, she stays at home but does volunteer at both our school and her church so she is busy. I asked her the other night how she does it all and she said that it takes scheduling and sticking to it. Plus she is very big on self care, which seems to be a recurring theme with my super mommy friends.

Wow, what a concept. They take care of themselves. They do things that make them happy consistently. They exercise, eat right, pray and drink water. They also stick to schedules and planning, which make life a lot easier for everyone involved. I keep hearing those two words-schedule and routine. Two words that scare me to a certain extent. I do crave routine, it gives my life structure and all, but on the other hand I like to pretend that I am free spirited (which I really am not!).
So, while I am caught up in the tornado that is my life this weekend, I am going to try to do a few things that involve routine. Maybe.

No comments: