Wednesday, April 20, 2011





It's Wednesday of holy week, & I have no clue about Easter dinner right now. I know what I want to make for dessert, but dinner is a different story.
I actually have major cooking anxiety lately. It seems meals I think are a big hit apparently aren't, so I almost don't want to. I, who had holidays planned months in advance, lost it in the past year. I'm almost afraid of making the wrong move & choosing a wrong meal & ruining the holidays.
Add to it, due to surgery, I wasn't able to cook Christmas or New Years dinners.
Then, Valentines & st Patricks came & went, without much fanfare. As a matter of fact, we did nothing. So, part of me really doesn't care about cooking Easter dinner.
Man, I'm really in a rut. I am tired, I am uninspired. I am feeling adrift. I don't know where I currently fit it all in my life right now. I think the bleak midwinter that has morphed into spring doesn't help. I am also not on the same page as others, I'm not even in the same book.
Or section of the bookstore.
So, somehow I need to get back on track. Right now, I need to find what jazzes me. I need to get back to my hobbies. I really haven't done anything lately: no scrapping, I haven't quilted in over 4 years, I don't crochet, I haven't even read lately.
So, I'm in this rut.
And I need to get out of it.
Usually when this happens, it doesn't end pretty.
So I am trying to figure out Easter dinner. It seems all the parties involved have an opinion, and no one really cares what I think.
I'm the one who's cooking, Dang it.
I was thinking roasted asparagus, drizzled with olive oil, garlic & roasted red peppers.

I was thinking sweet potato souffle, with pecans & honey.
I was thinking roasted chicken.
I was thinking Easter basket cupcakes & pizzelles.

I was thinking having tarragon carrots.
I was thinking I could have most of this done on Friday, which I took off in order to cook & prep.
But I changed my mind, since no one was interested in those choices.

So now I've changed the menu to feature lasagna, the asparagus, the cupcakes, the cookies & a big salad. Oh, and garlic bread.

In between, I thought about ham & cheese croissants, with sweet potato fries, carrot & raisin salad, peas & something else for the big man.

Or maybe I will someone else do it all, because I am lacking inspiration. Besides, it seems when I take decisive action, it doesnt work out in my favor.
So, I will probably be a short order cook.

My plan? Thursday: boil eggs to dye. Bake cupcakes.

Friday: put main course together. Church. Dye eggs.



Saturday: tweet up downtown with some friends. Egg hunt for the little man. Make pizzelles.

Sunday: church, cook. Egg hunt at home.


In between, I need to put a basket together, work, clean
the house, etc
.
Oh yeah, and shop.
So, what do you think should be Easter dinner in mommydom?

No comments: