Thursday, May 05, 2011

This Is Why We Fight

I recently discovered the Decemberists, thanks to WXPN (http://www.xpn.org/). Its public radio out of Philly, which I miss desperately. For all the great stuff in South Dakota, radio is not one of those things. I like less than mainstream music, so...I listen to streaming audio either on line or with the radio app on my phone.
So, late last year, the Decemberists began to get a lot of airplay for Down by the River. But it was the follow up song, This is Why We Fight that totally hooked me.

Earlier this week, the accordianist/keyboardist Jenny Conlee announced she had breast cancer and was dropping out of the tour to receive treatment.
Cancer sucks, to put it bluntly.
Breast cancer really sucks.
I've had friends (and clients) die from it.
My mother in law beat it.
L-r my mother in law, me and the Big Man
July 2005

I had a cancer scare myself. When I had my first mammogram at 36, I had bad finding. There was a "spot". So I had to have another mammogram.
There was that spot again.
So, then I had to have a biopsy. Two days before Christmas.
It was negative. I was relieved, but...I felt guilty.

There are a lot of women who don't share my sense of relief.
Jenny Conlee just joined that sisterhood.
My team for last year's race. Even though it was Mother's Day weekend, at race time the temperature was 30.


On Saturday, I will be running in a 5k to raise money for breast cancer patients in South Dakota. Many people I know have been helped by the funds that the race generates.
http://www.kintera.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=450022&lis=0&kntae450022=209CF77E78494F60AF6A5CB8D1EED4BC&supId=323262260

If you are ever curious about what life is like while undergoing treatment, check out http://lisabadams.com/blog/. It is alternating and uplifting at the same time. In a comment on her blog, I wrote

In my day job, I manage medical bills for people with chronic illnesses. Many have cancer, many more are young and have young families. My heart aches, even though I see such a small part of their journey. Ive seen many, many miracles. I have also seen a lot of pain.



I am grateful my mother in law beat breast cancer. I’m equally heartbroken that colon cancer took my dad before he could walk Mr me down the aisle & meet his grandson. My father in law also died from colon cancer, he saw us get married but he wasn’t there to.meet my little guy.


This Sat I will run to raise $ for breast cancer. I run because I can. I run because not everyone has a traveling scarf to wear. I run to restore dignity to patients. I run because I’m grateful I dodged the bullet twice with cancer scares. I run for those who can’t.

And on Saturday, I will run with the wind on my back and an awesome playlist on my ipod.

This is why I run, and this is why we fight.

No comments: