Friday, May 13, 2011

Wuthering Heights

There is a new Twitter trend, Friday Reads. Here is what I am reading this week-an oldie but goodie that I still love as much as when I read for the first time when I was a teenager.

One of my all time favorite books is Wuthering Heights. I loved it so much that I wanted to move to the English Moors and look for my very own Heathcliff. There is a classic movie adaptation from the 1930’s that is fairly faithful to the book, but the more recent version with Ralph Fiennes is to die for.


There’s a certain amount of sadness that intermingles Fiennes that lends to Heathcliff and his obsessiveness. Juliette Binoche is quite simply, stunning and was basically how I imagined Cathy to look. Amazing set and costume design. I am usually not a big fan of Hollywood making beloved books into movies, but this an instance where they got this one right.

Then there is the Monty Python version.

Add to my obsession with this book, one of my favorite singers, Kate Bush had an amazing synopsis of it in her brilliant song, "Wuthering Heights".
Her voice is magical, much like how I envision the Moors, and the bond between Cathy and Heathcliff.

No comments: