Tuesday, August 19, 2014

College Boy

Going off to college is the first giant leap into adulthood. I wouldn't trade my college days for anything (especially since they happened before social media). However, there were things I wish I knew before I went off to the white mountains of New Hampshire.
I was incredibly unprepared for dorm life. I freely admit it. I thought I was organized...but I wasn't. Life quickly devolved into chaos.
I was an outstanding student in high school...in college I received a huge wake up call academically. The College Prepster (http://www.thecollegeprepster.com) has a lot of great tips and advice.
It's hard learning to do stuff on your own if you're not used to it. I wish I had known a lot more about life before I went off to college. Little things like dealing with roommates, ( I was an only child at that point) or doing laundry regularly were challenges. 
We had a communal shower in our dorm. I didn't know about wearing flip flops, until I got a nasty infection. Lesson learned. 
Time management and study habits were two things I thought I got. I was wrong. I really struggled with being organized. I also struggled with studying, getting papers written and more. I also got overly involved with activities, which looking back, added more challenges to my course load. Being better organized would have helped. 
Budgeting would have been a big help too. I wish I had not opened a credit card my freshman year. (Free money! Yeah!) I didn't really understand it, and I paid a steep price financially for a long time afterwards.
I also wished I had thought about my course load more. I took a lot of classes at the same time that really required me to write a lot of papers, do a lot of homework and outside studying. If I had to do it all over again, I would have lightened the load more.

I also was not prepared for the partying. I didn't drink in high school. The fact that I, as an 18 year old, could go drink whenever I wanted to, was something that no one told me about. I'm not a drinker. I don't like beer. I don't really like wine. I like fruity drinks where I don't taste alcohol. I also am a control freak, so I don't like being drunk. It took some trial & error (and thankfully no awful consequences) to figure out that the party scene wasn't for me. 
What I did discover is Chi Alpha, which is a Christian student organization. My faith began to deepen in college. I'm grateful for that, because it has had more influence on my adult life than anything else in college.









No comments: